[otrs] Problems with LDAP UTF8 encoding and german Umlauts

Martin Edenhofer me at otrs.de
Tue Aug 31 07:44:30 CEST 2004

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 12:57:33PM +0200, Matthias Eichler wrote:
> I've just entered all the customerdata from our groupware
> database into the LDAP directory.
> The entries went into the LDAP as UTF8 converted strings.
>
> Now the CustomerUser function works for searching etc.,
> BUT all german Umlaute are not displayed correctly by
> OTRS.
> All other applications that can read this LDAP directory
> display the data in the correct way, so I think it must
> be an OTRS bug.
>
> Any comments?

It depends on the application charset. OTRS also can work/display
LDAP UTF8 converted strings correctly.

Solutions:

a) Let OTRS work in UTF-8 charset (then you also need a utf-8 able
   database, e. g. MySQL 4.1 or higher)

b) Convert UTF-8 to e. g. iso-8859-1 which config settings in CustomerUser
    config object:

  [...]
    $Self->{CustomerUser} = {
        Name => 'LDAP Backend',
        [...]
        Params => {
          # ldap host
          Host => 'ldap.example.com',
          # ldap base dn
          BaseDN => 'ou=seas,o=csuh',
          # search scope (one|sub)
          # if your frontend is e. g. iso-8859-1 and the charset of your
          # ldap server is utf-8, use this options (if not, ignore it)
          SourceCharset => 'utf-8',
          DestCharset => 'iso-8859-1',
        },
        [...]
  [...]

Anyway, if you need business support to get fast and phone help, contact
((otrs.de)).

> Matthias

  Martin Edenhofer

--
((otrs.de)) :: OTRS GmbH :: Norsk-Data-Str. 1 :: 61352 Bad Homburg
        http://www.otrs.de/ :: Manage your communication!