[otrs] OTRS is slow

Nick Bright nick.bright at terraworld.net
Tue Aug 5 16:54:05 GMT 2008

Thanks for the post regarding mod_perl - I was not aware of setting it
up this way!

I set this up per the README.webserver file, and noticed at least a 10x
performance improvement in OTRS 2.2.5 running on CentOS 5.x with a
2.4GHz HT P4 & 512MB RAM.

However, I'm using some additional modules (Calendar and FAQ) that are
both still slow. I don't know a lot about mod_perl, but from looking at
the apache2-perl-startup.pl script it's obvious that it's preloading
modules.

I tried adding the Calendar and FAQ modules to that list, but apache
wouldn't start, complaining about not being able to find the files

[Tue Aug 05 10:18:29 2008] [error] syntax error at
/opt/otrs/scripts/apache2-perl-startup.pl line 156, near "use
Kernel::System::CalendarEvent."\nCompilation failed in require at (eval
2) line 1.\n
[Tue Aug 05 10:18:29 2008] [error] Can't load Perl file:
/opt/otrs/scripts/apache2-perl-startup.pl for server
otrs.terraworld.net:0, exiting...

However, the files do exist at the proper location.

I added this to the apache2-perl-startup.pl script:

# calendar modules
use Kernel::System::CalendarEvent.pm;
use Kernel::Modules::AgentCalendar.pm;

Is there a better/more proper way to install my additional modules into
this script such that my calendar and FAQ modules will also be
accelerated by mod_perl?

---
- Nick Bright
   Network Administrator