[otrs] upgrade from 2.3 to 3.1 mysql character set UTF8

Coert Waagmeester lgroups at waagmeester.co.za
Thu Dec 27 09:32:16 GMT 2012

Hello all,

I have successfully and carefully upgraded OTRS from 2.3 on a Centos 2.5
box to 3.1 on a new Centos 6.3 box.

So far everything seems to be working.

According to Admin > Support Assessment,

I have to set the database to use utf8 instead of latin1.

Googled till I am blue in the face, and found the following:

My otrs DB:
mysql> SELECT default_character_set_name FROM
information_schema.SCHEMATA S WHERE schema_name='otrs';
+----------------------------+
| default_character_set_name |
+----------------------------+
| latin1                     |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

This DB went through all the correct upgrade steps.
I started by installing otrs 2.3 and restoring the data.
Upgraded to 2.4, 3.0, and 3.1, and for each upgrade ran the appropriate
DBUpdate sql files and perl scripts.

Is there a way to change the existing DB from latin1 to UTF8?

according to google I have to for loop through each table?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,