[dev] Time Layout Question

Tom Hesp tghesp at euronet.nl
Tue Jan 6 11:12:24 CET 2004

Hi Bob,
Bob Smith wrote:

> Yes, the date/time format should be configurable to a user, I mean each
user
> should have their own preference of how time and date is represented in
teh
> system
> Imagine an american and a Swede working on the same system but at
different
> places in the world, the american in america, and the swede in sweden.
using the
> same otrs somplace
> on the net. they both have different locales but the system locale ( as
now )
> defines the date/time format .Thus this is an issue which should be
configurable
> as a user property.

> Which raises a new question:if the date/time property is a property of the
user,
> then the language is too.
> Suggestion:make locale a property of the user, not the system.

Maybe I do not understand you correctly but the language is a property of
the user (can be set in the user's Preferences screen) and hence is the
date/time format as it is part of the language translation. I would expect
that the Swedish agent wants to use the Swedish layout; of course if he or
she want to work in the Swedish language but with an American date/time
format then it becomes a different issue. Whether settings like the
date/time format should be part of the language translation is of course
debatable but then you get into a far more principle discussion. I think for
the time being the developers made the right choice by making it part of the
translation.
 Regards, Tom