[dev] translation tables

Bob Smith bobsmith1 at marketweighton.com
Tue Jan 6 18:59:15 CET 2004

Wiktor Wodecki wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:41:40PM +0200, Bob Smith wrote:
> > hey all,
> > got this ide when I woke up this morning:how about moving the
> > translation ( locale ) into the database?
> > how would that work?we could have one translation table with data like:
> > KEYFIELD:LANGUAGE_ONE:LANGUAGE_TWO
> > TRANSLATION_ONE_key:LANGUAGE_ONE_TRANSLATION:LANGUAGE_TWO_TRANSLATION
> > etc.
>
> please not! And then blow up the database for 24 languages? You must be

what blow up?jsut an idea, and it is all strings no problem ot handle in teh
database.
nothing wrong with the current approach either.
My idea is to have the following, just as an example
|-----STRING_KEY:--------|language one-----|-----language two-----|
|MSG_WELCOME---|---VÄLKOMMEN-------|---WELCOME--------|
|MSG_SAVE_TICKET|----SPARA TICKET------|---SAVE TICKET-----|
...etc
I can't see anything wrong with thsi approach
bear in mind that the number of strings representing the languages is
*finite*, not infinite
Best Regards
Greger
PS
Can you explain how that would *blow up* the database?
DS

> kidding. What's wrong with the current approach?

I'm not going to do anything, I am not working on this  project.