[dev] translation tables

Bob Smith bobsmith1 at marketweighton.com
Tue Jan 6 20:22:10 CET 2004

Wiktor Wodecki wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 02:41:40PM +0200, Bob Smith wrote:
> > hey all,
> > got this ide when I woke up this morning:how about moving the
> > translation ( locale ) into the database?
> > how would that work?we could have one translation table with data like:
> > KEYFIELD:LANGUAGE_ONE:LANGUAGE_TWO
> > TRANSLATION_ONE_key:LANGUAGE_ONE_TRANSLATION:LANGUAGE_TWO_TRANSLATION
> > etc.
>
> please not! And then blow up the database for 24 languages? You must be
> kidding. What's wrong with the current approach?

What is wrong with the current approach is perhaps that it is error prone to
translate, and you have to know perl to do it. I translated the german to
swedish.
with a new approahc we could hire a translator for 4 hours and he/she could
do the translation through a web interface to the otrs. or volunteer to do
it.
we could thus use translators for translating, and coders for coding.
we could easily extend the langagues otrs translated to to a large number of
languages.
alright so I expect some comments on this approach, I'm not going to change
anything in the otrs until ((otrs.de)) hires me.

/Greger