[dev] translation tables

lists at neenerville.com lists at neenerville.com
Wed Jan 7 03:09:26 CET 2004

Greger,

> alright so I expect some comments on this approach, I'm not going to
> change
> anything in the otrs until ((otrs.de)) hires me.

Either sarcastically put or with all seriousness intended, this really boils
down to a rather poor demonstration of appreciation for the work that the
developers and contributors of this software have done to get OTRS to the
state it is today.

If you have constructive comments to share regarding potential modifications
to the OTRS system, please share them. But for my own sake and the sake of
those interested in furthering the development of this open source system, I
kindly ask that you refrain from posting comments that are likely to incite
others and may be considered offensive and ungrateful from those that have
made contributions to the source.

With regards to the language system, the simplest way of providing
translations of the software would be to create language files containing
the appropriate phrases for each language. This would make installation of
languages and future translations simple and is pretty standard practice for
other installations. There's no reason to put unnecessary overhead on the
SQL backend to display translations, and as the number of languages
increases, so will the base size of an OTRS install.

Best wishes,
Paul